Tuesday 6 April 2010

My finished props!

I am pleased with the overall effect of my paper sandwich, which will be the main prop used in the Gluttony image. The whole thing is made from paper mached pieces of card, which I covered with torn up sheets of newspaper. I wanted to keep the newspaper print visible, to clearly show in the images that she is gorging on paper food, however I decided to add a splash of colour to the sandwich to highlight what each element of the sandwich is meant to be.

The beautiful and delicious cakes that featured in the Marie Antionette film influenced me to make an inflated slice of cake for the Gluttony image. Even though it is obviously made out of newspaper, I wanted to make the cake look as real as possible which is why I added paper mache cherries and icing on top and layers of icing to the middle of the cake.
I have also made this paper mache apple to add to the selection of food in the gluttony image, as I want to create a mixutre of all different types and shapes and sizes of food to create the image of a real feast.
This is the headdress I have made for the Pride image. As my prop making abilities are only very basic I found it a real challenge to make a headdress out of paper which stayed standing up and didn't fall off when worn. I am very pleased with the outcome of my headdress, as it took alot of time to make and is quite sturdy when being worn. The structure of the headdress is made from a headband which I covered in newspaper then several consortinure sheets of card covered in newspaper to create the fan effect, which represents the fan of a peacock tail. I have added a variety of ostorich and peacock feathers and plenty of gliiter to add to the flamboyancy of the piece and have also used bits of broken mirror to highlight the sin of vanity and pride.
I have made this broach/ hairpiece for the Greed image, as I wanted to create a piece of jewellery that incorporated the notions of money, wealth and expensive jewellery, as they are all associated with the sin greed.
This is the newspaper bedding I have made for the lust image. I actually found it quite difficult to find newspaper that wasn't plastered with cheesy adverts and gauwdy images, as this would of distracted too much attention from the overall image. However I managed to find several sheets which were suitable which I sowwed onto a white cotton backing fabric. I thought this would be easy to achieve but using a sewing machine to sew huge pieces of newpaper together is harder than it looks, as it just rips so easily. If I had chance to remake this prop I may have looked into screen printing a newpaper print onto fabric to achieve the desired effect, however time permitting this just wasn't an option.